WELCOME TO A NEW SCHOOL YEAR
**UPDATE TO K-1 ARRIVAL : PLEASE DROP OFF IN THE BIG YARD IN THE SMALL PLAY SPACE.**
September News 2018
Dear PS 38 families,
It’s been a busy first few days of school but things are moving along quite smoothly. Our students managed the first few days of transitioning from summer break, wonderfully. Overall, they seemed eager and ready to be at school. It’s great to see all of those smiling faces, as they entered the building. Thank you for getting your child back into school routines. We are ready for a great year.
I want to remind you of few important things as we get the school year started.
· **NEW--- EARLY ARRIVAL DROP OFF**: With the support of the PTA, we are happy to provide our PS 38 families with early drop off in the morning, at no cost. Starting Wednesday, September 12th, the big yard and the pre-k yard will be open from 7:30am to 8am for drop off. Each yard will be supervised by teachers and staff. Since this is drop off, we ask that parents do not enter the yard. Please say your goodbyes outside the gate. Children will have free play until 8am. They will then be sent in to their classes. On rainy or colder days, children will gather in the auditorium for early arrival, supervised by teachers and staff.
· Curriculum Conference night is Monday, September 17th, from 4:30pm to 7:30pm. We’ve scheduled upper and lower grade conferences. The evening is designed to be an opportunity for you to hear details and ask questions about the curriculum for your child’s grade. Please note that this is not a time for personal conferences about your child. The teachers are in the early stages of getting to know his/her students. Please reach out to your teacher to make a separate appointment.
I encourage you to follow the schedule below.
Schedule for Monday, September 17th:
4:30pm-5pm Counseling in Schools: Ms. Atiyya
SUNY Health Center: School Nurse
5pm----6pm Lower grade conferences (Pre-K, K, 1st, 2nd)
6pm----6:30pm Cluster Panel—Music, Science, Dance, Spanish and Gym
6:30--- 7:30pm Upper grade conferences (3rd, 4th, 5th)
**Service providers (Speech, OT) rooms will be posted in the hallways**
· New staff
Please help me give a warm welcome to our new staff at PS 38:
Barbie Vella K-244
Betsy Rodriguez K-246
Rodelyn Mendoza 2-234
Julio Ruiz 2-236
Denise Laidley 4/5-322
Celeste Pinkston- 5-316
Maureen Vitale- PE
· PS 38 Community Standards—I’ve been speaking to the staff about putting community standards in place for our school. PS 38 is a warm, nurturing place. As a school community, I believe it’s important for us to make our expectations clear and explicit for students, staff and families. By creating these standards, we hope to make clear to our community what behaviors are acceptable (and unacceptable) in school. We want to encourage positive decision-making skills and respect within the community while taking a proactive approach in alleviating problems. Next week, Ms. Smith and I will present these standards to every classroom. Copies of the standards will be posted in every classroom and throughout the building. We will also send a copy home to be shared with PS 38 families (via backpack). Please assist us with this effort by reviewing the PS 38 Community Standards at home with your child and holding your child accountable to these expectations as we do.
· Allergies---Please inform your teacher if your child has severe food allergies. Some classrooms are designated as nut-free rooms. Please speak to your teacher if your child needs an accommodation.
· Welcome Picnics—Please join us for the grade level “welcome back, picnics”. Dates are posted on the school calendar.
I’m looking forward to seeing all of you on the 17th at Curriculum Conference night.
Have a great September!
Pascale Pradel, Principal, IA
WELCOME BACK LETTER 2018
** YMCA AFTER SCHOOL UPDATE : FAMILIES REGISTERED LAST YEAR OR DURING THE SUMMER FOR THE YMCA AFTER SCHOOL WILL START ON SEPTEMBER 12TH AND FAMILIES THAT REGISTERED TODAY WILL START OCTOBER 1ST DUE TO LAST MINUTE STAFF CHANGES**
**KINDERGARTEN ARRIVAL UPDATE: PARENTS YOU MAY ESCORT YOUR CHILD TO HIS/HER CLASSROOM ON THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL. OUR STUDENTS WILL NEED YOUR ASSISTANCE IN BRINGING UP THEIR SUPPLIES TO THE CLASSROOM - THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. MS PASCALE**
Dear PS 38 Families,
I want to welcome you to the 2018-19 school year! As interim acting principal, I am so excited to start this new school year with you. A big “Thank you” to everyone for the warm, enthusiastic welcome. It means a great deal to me to receive such support. I’m grateful to Dr. Ramirez and the administrative team for their time and assistance in my transition to this new role. I’ve been getting to know all aspects of PS 38 and feel very fortunate to be part of this wonderful school community. Throughout the summer, our school staff has been busily preparing for the first day of school. I’m especially excited to meet and get to know the students of PS 38. It’s going to be a year full of new and exciting learning experiences for your children. We look forward to working with you to ensure it’s a successful one.
Here are some important reminders for the first few days of school.
· Wednesday, September 5, 2018 is the first day of school. School hours are 8am to 2:20pm. School begins promptly at 8am. Please make every effort to bring your child to school on time.
· “Grab and Go” begins at 8:00 a.m. every day. Breakfast will be served in classrooms. All students from K-5 will take their food directly to the classrooms.
· Curriculum Conference—I hope you will be able to attend this year’s Curriculum Conference on Monday, September 17th, from 4:30pm-7:30pm. You will have an opportunity to meet and speak to the teachers who work with your child during the school day. You will hear about the curricula, for your child’s grade, across subject areas, homework routines, enrichments and a lot more. A schedule of curriculum night will be emailed and posted on the website the first week of school.
· Blue Cards—Please fill out a Blue Emergency Card for each child in your family. It’s important to fill out a card every year. We need updated and accurate contact information for your child so we can easily contact you, if needed. The card also includes adults who have permission to pick up your child from school. This is a very important document for us to have in place as soon as the school year begins.
· Lunch forms---Every family must fill out a lunch form for all of their children who are in the school, even if your child does not eat school lunch. Please return the completed the form(s) to the main office or classroom teacher. You can also conveniently complete the lunch form on-line. Click here to fill out 2018-2019 Lunch Form
2018 Meet & Greet Update :
Although there's is no meet and greet this year for Pre-K & kindergarten, Curriculum Conference Night is scheduled earlier than usual this year, September 17th 4:30pm-7:30pm, so you will have time to meet the classroom teachers on that day.
2018 School Supplies List